One of our patients asked me to send her a healthy version of eggnog this week, so I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to make this our Day 9 Challenge!
In case you haven’t been keeping up, we’re celebrating 12 days of Christmas at Queen City Health Center, and we’re challenging all of our patients, family, and friends to join us by committing to one thoughtful health change every day for 12 days! (Read more about this effort here.)
Day 9 Challenge: Replace your Eggnog with this Healthy Paleo Version!
This gluten-free, dairy-free eggnog is a perfect fit for the paleo diet. It also lines up with our philosophies here at QCHC, since it contains no processed sugar (only pure maple syrup). If you’re looking for a quick and easy, no-cook, dairy-free eggnog, this creamy Christmas beverage is sure to hit the spot!
- 1 cup ice cold filtered water
- ½ cup ice cubes (or enough to make it super cold!)
- ½ cup, plus 2 tablespoons organic full fat coconut milk, placed in freezer for at least 5 hours (see notes below)
- 6 pitted medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons pure organic maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter (*note: make sure you use coconut butter not coconut oil!)
- 1 frozen banana, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ⅓ cup Dwersteg amaretto liqueur (optional, can use other brands as well)
- Cinnamon sticks, for garnish
Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender (I use a Vitamix) in the order listed above and process until smooth and creamy. Chill and serve with cinnamon sticks as a garnish. Can also be served hot by heating mixture on stovetop; just make sure to prevent it from boiling, which will cause curdling!
Remove the coconut milk from the freezer without tipping or shaking. Carefully remove the lid, and then scrape out the top, thickened cream and leave the watery liquid behind. You can reserve the liquid for use in smoothies. You will want to use the thickened cream only for the eggnog recipe.
That’s it! We hope you enjoy this healthy eggnog.
Be a good friend this holiday season. Click the buttons below to share this post with your followers on social media.